We are on a mission to raise funds today, to create a better tomorrow! Join us in the fight against Premature Birth and Pediatric Heart Disease by contributing just $10 - and help change the future. Click here to view our video.
Alex at 34 weeks Alex today!
10. Experts agree we need to find out how to prevent pre-term birth from happening in the first place. Despite decades of research, scientists have not yet developed effective ways to help prevent premature birth.
9. Only one penny of every dollar donated to the American Heart Association goes towards congenital heart defect research.
8. Each year over 1,000,000 babies are born worldwide with congential heart defects; 100,000 of them will not live to see their first birthday and thousands more will die before they reach adulthood.
7. On an average day in the US, 1,305 babies are born prematurely (before 37 weeks), and 213 are born very prematurely (before 32 weeks).
6. Today 1 in 8 babies will be born prematurely.
5. in the US, twice as many children die from congenital heart disease each year than from all forms of childhood cancer combined, yet funding for pediatric cancer research is five times higher than funding for congenitial heart diseases.
4. Congenital heart defects are the #1 birth defect in the US - and every other country in the world. Nearly one in every 100 babies is born with congenital heart disease.
3. In the last decade rates for congenital heart disease have declined by almost 30% due to advances made through research.
2. Most women who have premature labor and delivery have no known risk factors. In fact, unless a woman has a known uterine abnormality, every woman is treated as a low risk patient in their first pregnancy.
1. Because without your help babies will continue to die before their time.